Dr. Henry George Thode (1910-1997) was a chemist, nuclear scientist and university president who transformed the small liberal arts college into the major research and educational institution that is known for it today as, McMaster University. He was the one responsible for the construction of the Nuclear Reactor in the 1950s. He was known to be very motivated to expand the reputation and physical campus. Today, the Science and Engineering library at McMaster University bears Dr. Thode’s name, and the café inside the Thode Library evokes his most evident legacy: The Reactor. As of 2018, the reactor has been operating for 59 years and going strong thanks to him.
Tribute to Dr. Henry George Thode 1910-1997